Yesterday was my first time at the hospital as a student nurse and I loved it! I thought I would just be shadowing a nurse but I actually got to help out. I gave a full bath and changed beds. Helped this little old man order the correct food for lunch according to his calorie restrictions. I flushed an IV, watched medications being pulled/administered. I also took four patients vital signs, which I was very proud of because it is stressful your first time. I feel so much better about my clinicals and have a better understanding on how that process goes!
Some information about my first Clinical Hospital:
Southern Hills Medical Center:
• Dynamic 120-bed hospital
• Established reputation for excellent care with a personal touch
• Small enough to feel like a family
• Large enough to provide the full spectrum of medicine
• Meets the CMS standards for evidence-based medicine, providing patient care at a level achieved by only the top ten percent of U.S. hospitals.
Nashville is a thriving metropolitan city with a population of approximately 600,000 and is repeatedly recognized as one of the country’s top cities for business and future growth with many national accolades!
• “Best Places to Begin a Career” – in July 2009, Forbes ranked Nashville #13 out of 350 of the country’s MSA’s
• “America’s Fastest Recovering Cities” – in December 2009, Forbes ranked Nashville #19 based on diversified industries and relatively stable housing that gave residents a measure of economic security
• “America’s Friendliest City” – in October 2009, Travel & Leisure ranked Nashville #1 “Friendliest City”! This ranking is based on culture, shopping, restaurants, nightlife and more.
• Sports enthusiasts find plenty to keep them interested since Nashville is home to several sporting teams including the Tennessee Titans NFL team, the Nashville Sounds baseball team and the NHL’s Nashville Predators - not to mention our Super Speedway!
• For those who are interested in what Nashville is most famous for – country music - the Country Music Hall of Fame, Grand Old Opry, Bluebird Café, and Ryman Auditorium provide a great starting point to explore Music City!
